[…] gripping novel about afflicting betrayal, great sorrow and trying to escape reality.
[…] The reader easily identifies with her situation and engages deeply in this very well written life portrayal.
A psychological thriller with gothic elements, in my opinion her best writing so far.
– Mats Strandberg, author (Kulturkollo.se October 4, 2018)
The atmosphere and the mournful, low key tone captured me. A lonely, broken woman looking for answers, searching for hope and the will to carry on. A page turner and a nail biter about confronting the past, sorrow and acceptance.
– Agneta Norrgård, literary critic (instagram.com/agneta_norrgard September 15, 2018)
[…] finding that she possessed the ability to write as sinister and dark as this, for me, adds another string to her bow.
[…] so has Maria Ernestam once again proven that she is a masterful writer with a fantastic language.
– Susanne Abel, (instagram.com/boksann September 23, 2018)
Gripping, thrilling, well written!
– Jennie Steifeldt, (jenniesboklista.com October 9, 2018)
As usual Maria Ernestam writes beautiful prose and I admire her way of sketching an interesting and multilayered main character. Sofi is very human and in her sorrow both strong and fragile. The Abbey almost becomes a character in itself in the story with its both stunning and fateful historical environment. ‘Within the Walls’ is a well told and gripping novel.
– Ulrica Lejbro, (vastmanbok.blogspot.com October 12, 2018)
[…] a wondrous journey into the depths of a person. 5/5
– Ulrika Hurtig, (tofflandel2.wordpress.com November 18, 2018)
Very well written and engaging psychological drama with elements of a thriller […] an almost poetic language with certain passages making me almost associate with Polanski and an absolutely brilliant [note: audio book] reading by Maria Ernestam […]
– BlommigaBarbro, (boksidan.net November 23, 2018)